Tuesday, March 04, 2008
I don't believe in Global Warming. I believe the steps we are taking to take better care of our earth and to be more environmentally friendly all in the name of "global warming" are good things, but I don't believe in global warming. Why? Because I think God is too big for us, no matter what we do, to significantly change the entire atmosphere of the entire earth. Yes, we can pollute, but I don't believe we can change the atmosphere.
And today, I read a good article about it, in mass media no less: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,334682,00.html
Did you know there is evidence of cooling, not warming, since 1998? hmm.
6 Comments:
FYI-- "Global Warming" is a phrase adopted to describe global climate change resulting from environmental degradation, which includes overall temperature changes, not just literal temperature warming. So it makes sense that there is noticeable cooling and warming.
Moreover, Fox News is not an objective news source. Most mass media sources are not. Get me an article from someone at NASA, with a degree in the field, that says global climate change isn't a crisis, and you may be in a better position to argue your point. If you actually research this area, you'll probably find a ton of articles about how the Bush Administration has directly and systematically prevented NASA scientists from going public with facts about global climate change, which clearly continues to cause confusion for the general public with regard to this threat.
Finally, while I respect your faith that global warming does not exist, I turn, and hope most others do as well, to the facts when it comes to making a conclusion about this most important of issues. If you are interested in concrete and proven proof of the possibilities of human effects on the environment, research the Chernobyl nuclear disaster or the bombs dropped over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Both of these are excellent and well-researched incidences of human activity having a measurable and profound effect on the local and global environment-- including the atmospheric environment-- in spite of any arguments regarding or truth behind the theory of an all-powerful God.
I gotta disagree with you on this one, too, Rochelle. I understand - and tend to agree with - the thinking that God is bigger than all of us, but I don't really believe that God pulls every little tiny string. I think we're put here with free will and the ability to do the right thing or the wrong thing. That means we can certainly screw things up. Hence, murder, spousal abuse, wars ... global warming.
For centuries, we weren't spewing tons of toxic gases into the atmosphere and then in the past 200 years we start doing so and continue to do so at increasingly higher levels. I think it's naive to assume that this wouldn't have any effect on the world we live in.
This is one area where I get really frustrated by religion. This is not a religion issue. Although, you could make the argument that it is - but for different reasons. If God created the earth, then shouldn't we do a better job of taking care of it?
huh, wow. Who's this random Tia person?
Actually, I have read quite a bit about it (and not just on Fox News)so it's not JUST a faith issue for me.
I didn't really set out to debate this, though someday maybe I will, I just thought it was a good article (did you guys read it?).
I do want to point out though that I do believe we are having an EFFECT on our atmosphere, I just don't think we can literally CHANGE it completely.
I feel like once again, I am floating in the middle with my opinions. Neil does not like Bush (trust me on this) or his administration but he thinks that we can't change the environment but agrees that we can influence it. He loves to quote Bill Bryson, who said in one of his books that one volacanoe gives out more carbon whateveroxide than blah blah cars and airplanes.
I am not really sure one way or the other. I think that as a human race we are certainly greedy and selfish - look at the rainforests, look at the pollution in the name of convenience, the list goes on... So I lean more towards believing that we have screwed this one up. After all, we are supposed to be good stewards of this planet. On the other hand, I think that the planet goes through changes all the time. Look at the land-masses shifting and continents moving in the history. I tend to believe that dinosaurs died out because of climate change, and I doubt that they were burning tires. On the third hand, living here in Australia, where the ozone hole is such a big issue and every other person around us has had skin cancer, REALLY makes you think about those things...
The bottom line is that we DO need to start acting to save this planet because regardless of weather we are responsible or not, there ARE changes happening and if we can do anything then we should stop arguing and start doing something.
I can see where you probably won't be interested in Al Gore's movie, but there was recently a good show on the National Geographic Channel called Six Degrees Could Change The World (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/sixdegrees). The premise of the show is how the planet would be different if it were x degrees warmer, which is kind of interesting, but the cases of what's happening already are really fascinating. And scary.
Rochelle - as your brother I gotta tell you I respectfully disagree. (of course we disagree about almost everything) regardless of the degree of change we have been able to create in the environment, God does not intervene so directly into human lives. Certainly not to save us from our own mistakes in the first place. I know plenty of more worthy causes where god didn't show up. I don't think he will prevent climate change just becuase we love to burn fossil fuels. We are better off planning for possible consequences of our actions than pretending they can't happen becuase god will do something about it.
Post a Comment
<< Home