Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Taste-testers. It's too bad you don't live closer and aren't in my small group, because if you were you'd have gotten to be my food testers tonight.

I made an amazing, fantastically easy recipe that basically amounts to having your own personal perfectly baked apple pie on a plate. We didn't have ice cream or whipped topping, but had we added that, I'm pretty sure dessert doesn't get much better. And it's easy I tell you! Easy and Quick! Amazing.

I got the recipe from my favorite food blog. I've looked at food blogs over the past few years, and had a couple that I sorta liked reading, but while the food always looked amazing the recipes were always a little too daunting for me to try. Food bloggers tend to make every little thing (pasta! bread! rice!) from scratch and they swear by doing it that way, they also always live in cities and/or coasts and can get ingredients for recipes that I simply can't find around here (or, if I could, I have to hunt a lot more than I'm willing too), and the recipes just have too many ingredients....

But then comes along The Pioneer Woman. I've linked to her blog before, but I'm not sure if I mentioned her food blog: thepioneerwomancooks.com. She does none of the above things that scare me away from trying. She lives in 'the middle of nowhere' so she uses very basic ingredients, she's a busy mom of four kids on a ranch so she keeps things very simple (none of this gourmet homemade-everything business) AND bonus!: she makes "man food", very important for those of us with husbands who like a good man-meal (i.e. loads of protein) once in a while AND bonus #2!: she posts step-by-step pictures. You can't mess her recipes up. The only bad thing? She loves to cook with lots of pure fat (butter, cream, etc), but come on, is that really all that bad? Nahhhh...

So, the point is, you HAVE to try these Apple Dumplings I made tonight. The hardest part about them is peeling a couple apples. Try them out on friends, they'll love you.

The Pioneer Woman's Apple Dumplings

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing. Sounds good! I'm actually "testing" out a gluten, dairy, and sugar free diet for a class I'm taking. I might not be able to have the apples for a while! :-(

7:21 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home