Friday, March 21, 2008
When I moved here and was getting ready to go through the whole finding a new doctor, dentist, eye doctor thing I decided it was probably a safe bet to just go to the offices my husband and his family have been going to. Fortunately, I found out the doctor he was going to was a crappy doctor through other people before I switched (he has since switched to my doctor) and my neighbor is a dentist so I eventually decided going to his office was easier than going across town to my husband's dentist.
But I did go across town to the eye doctor, the one my husband and all my in-laws go to, figuring once a year wouldn't be a problem, and at least it was someone I thought I could trust. Now, I'm sure they're good doctors, as A's family has never had a problem with them... but I'm paying them more and having more issues since I started going to them than I EVER had going to the Wal-Mart and Shopko Eye Doctors!
My first visit, they bumped my left eye prescription up two steps, I'd wondered if it needed to be stronger and part of me wonders if they did that just because I mentioned it...because it was very obviously too strong. I wore the stupid thing around, dealing with horrible headaches, for a couple weeks just because I trusted the eye doctor. I finally got the prescription switched (that took some haggling, and a new appointment).
I'm not overly picky, and can deal with one screw-up. But this last time I went, instead of making my prescription stronger, they made my prescription for both eyes weaker. I'd like someone to tell me how that makes sense in any way at all? Do "good" eye doctors feel the need to change prescriptions just for the sake of changing things? Or am I suddenly terrible at telling the truth when they're checking my eyes? And not only did they change my prescription in both eyes, but the 'test' contacts they gave me were different than either my old or new prescription (one contact match the old prescription and one contact matched the new one).
When I called, the lady on the other end of the phone was pretty rude to me right up until she realized I was probably telling the truth (I had to convince her). Fortunately this time I simply got new test contacts instead of having to do the whole appointment thing again. I thought I'd finally reached just about my last contact with them last week when I ordered the replacement (same old prescription) contacts and they told me they'd be ready in three to five days, and that they'd call me. I figured I could pick them up this week, before Easter, and be good to go.
I called today. They're closed. It's been six or seven days. They haven't called me. I think I souneded irritated on the message I left, because I was. I'm sure they've had the contacts sitting on a desk somewhere since Wednesday and they just haven't called. I'm so done with this office. I'm getting those contacts next week and I'm never going back.
I'm tempted to go back to Shopko, they treated me much better.
5 Comments:
I did that, too, just went to the places mike did because it seemed easiest - until i realized he picked all of his doctors by choosing whoever was closest to his house. nice. fortunately i figured this out after only one appointment and am only still stuck going to his dentist, who is about as far on the other end of town from our house now as you can possibly get!
Preston said-
At least you get to pick. We can only go to one place and they have a well deserved reputation for being the rudest employees you've ever heard of. for example I was treated like I should know the price differences between brands of contacts without having to ask. The assistant was visibly annoyed that I seem to care about how much I am paying for my contacts. An assistant im my office had to ask them to "please try to be polite" to her 16 year old daughter who was going by herself for the first time when she called ahead of the appointment.
I'm not saying you're in the wrong or anything...because I wouldn't say that to you...but I just want to mention that pregnancy can totally screw with your prescriptions. I was in the process of finding contacts that would work when I got pregnant with big T and my eye doctor said that it would be best to wait until after he was born before picking up the process again. (Which I never did). Just a thought...
But it does suck that they weren't listening to you. Different doctors do different screwy things. I had one totally overcorrect my vision too and I didn't know it for a whole year when I went to someone else--explained why I had so many headaches that year!
Lindsey, that's interesting... did not know that could happen at all... still, i told them right when i walked in for my appointment that i was pregnant. Even if that IS the case, I'm disappointed that they wouldn't say anything to me about it when I called to ask why my prescription changed.
Oh definitely, I agree. And that obviously wasn't the problem when they overcorrected you a year ago. I just wanted to tell you about that :)
Post a Comment
<< Home