Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's an icky, wet, cold, windy, rainy day today. For the last week or so (weeks, actually) I've been watching the weather people on the national news talk about all the storms through the southern midwest and being thankful that it's not me. What we're getting isn't quite what they were getting, yet, but we're definitely getting it. blah. On the good side, it'll warm up next week and our grass will probably be suddenly blinding green and it'll REALLY start to feel like spring! AND hey! I got ambitious and started a mini-greenhouse to start my veggie garden inside and little green sprouts are starting to come up. yay!

That's not what I felt like writing about though.

If you read the comment to my post below, about the show 'Jon & Kate Plus Eight' you may have known it was my little brother who wrote it. My little brother, who is actually the one who turned me on to Jon & Kate and my love for this show. Who would expect their 'little' 25-year-old brother to love a TLC show?

When my older sister started having babies, it was really neat to see her be a mom... but at the same time, it felt totally normal to me. She's always been a mom. When my little brother became a dad, it completely awed me. This kid, little Preston, who will always be my baby brother no matter how much bigger he is than me or how much he grows up, is a DAD. It's so fun to see him with his girls (almost three-year-old twins), and it has been since they were babies. He's always right there with them, helping, taking care of them. Cuddling, doing their hair, playing with their dolls. Sometimes I hear one of the call for "daddy" and I look at him with his little girl and it still floors me.... my little brother is a dad. And not only a dad, but a GREAT dad. I am sometimes so flooded with pride in him that I'm almost speechless.

And now, I'm five months away from being a mom, from entering this world that my brother and sister have been embedded in for a few years now. And I feel like the closer I get, the less I know. I'm not actually concerned about how I'll do as a mom, but yet, I feel pretty clueless. I have a feeling that for the rest of my life I'll have my kids reach certain ages and light bulbs will go on for me "Oh! So THAT is what my sis/brother was going through at that time..."

My belly's starting to actually stick out, and people at work are noticing. A couple admitted that they noticed the last week or so that I had gained weight, but they didn't know why! (Too much beer and ho-ho's maybe?). It was either what I wore today or it was just a pudgy day, but at least four people commented on the belly. Some had known already, and some just found out. This makes me think it's not so far away that it'll be extremely obvious, and probably in that good way, where I don't just look fat, but I actually look pregnant.

2 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

Yeah, so Preston just read this and now he's prancing around the house calling himself "the wonderdad" like he's some kind of superhero... I need him to be cleaning the kitchen. But seriously, he is a great dad, it's wonerful how involved he is with the girls, giving baths, reading and (gasp) he even changes diapers! Maybe he is the wonderdad!

8:04 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-Preston said:

It's true, I am the Wonderdad.

12:27 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home