Thursday, May 15, 2008
Random Thoughts.
---- on coffee ---
I've given in a couple times and had some coffee. Have I told you this already? When I do give in, and decide a warm drink and a little caffeine pick-me-up would be nice, I only fill the cup about a quarter full. Then I go about my business, doing whatever it is I'm doing and sipping on my coffee... After a while I feel like I've gotten a little caffeine kick and figure the (teeny bit of) coffee must be almost gone. So I look in the cup..... and it doesn't look like I've had even a swallow. If I were someone else telling me this, I'd think that is must be just my imagination. You can't get a 'caffeine kick' from coffee if you haven't hardly drank any of it! It's not possible! So either the combination of lack of caffeine and pregnancy has made my body super-sensitive to caffeine, or it's a placebo thing and I just think the caffeine has done something, simply by virtue of having some coffee near me.
--- on wine ---
Someone tried to tell me the other day that she wished she could be here so she could drink wine in front of me and tease me with it. She was only teasing, and the spirit of it is fun. I'm such a wine fanatic that it makes sense there would be some part of me going "oohhh just a little tiny sip, pleeeasse". But, maybe it's simply that my tastes have changed, or maybe it's something bigger... like the idea of that little life inside me makes those things that used to be big suddenly into something trivial... but I think you could wave a great wine in front of me right now and I'd ask for a lemonade. It wouldn't bother me. My feeling on the wine has changed so much that it kind of boggles even me.
---- on living in barbie-land ----
this doesn't happen often, but just now, some guy drove down the street in his golf cart, with his dog beside him, while talking on the phone.
There's a very large part of me that hates the idea of living in a planned community like this. The idea of it is very superficial, everyone has to have perfect lawns, the houses all look the same, so materialistic, and suburban. So Desperate Housewives. I want to live in a neighborhood where every house is different, and has character, where the lawns are varied sizes and people don't have to pay community dues or get permission to have a certain type of fence up. Where some houses sit sideways on the land and you can tell the ones that have been there forever, and the newer ones built up around those.
The reality though? I like it here. I like the kids running up and down the sidewalk, I like that it's safe. We live in a relatively new house with minimal problems, low heating and air-conditioning costs. You can't really get that in an old neighborhood with character. I like not having crappy parks that no one cleans up, and don't actually mind paying the dues to help with that kind of stuff. I think it's silly that there are rules about what kind of fences you can build, and that my husband is concerned about having a nice-looking lawn, but I'll take it. I like my neighbors. We don't live in a snooty area (if we got deeper in, closer to the gigantic houses, we could), everyone is very down-to-earth and friendly. The idea of what I want, and the reality of living real life in my home have come together and I've learned that the benefits of living where I do probably far outweigh the benefits of the old house with character that I dream of. Though... I'll never stop dreaming, or whining a little when we drive through my 'dream' neighborhood.
--- on food ---
Hi, I love having an excuse to eat. It's fantastic. I love having an excuse for lots of things: food, letting people do things for me, being klutzy. I'm not skimping on exercise though, I want to stay healthy (especially since I love that food excuse so much). How though, HOW do I convince my husband to exercise regularly? I'm not okay with him not exercising and then having a buffalo-wing-induced heart attack at 40. (okay, I'm exaggerating, but I still think it's important). That really was about exercise, not food.
It's going to be a gorgeous spring weekend! enjoy!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home