Sunday, November 16, 2008

thoughts

Asher rewarded people with more smiles this weekend than we've ever seen before. Adam was visiting high school friends yesterday, so Asher and I decided we didn't want to be home alone and went on a grandparent-visiting spree. We spent a couple hours with each of my grandparents and then went to his grandparents to stay the night (mom and dad's).

He was in the greatest mood all day, he cooed and gurgled and smiled at everyone we stopped to see, the naps in between refreshing him for the next round of entertaining people. We woke up early this morning so I could get to church to do coffee-duty - I figured when I got up at 5am to feed him, that he'd go back to sleep until we were ready to leave. But instead he was ready to be awake and play, smiling and cooing more... He was being so cute I told mom to come downstairs and play with him, I had to get ready but I wanted someone to enjoy this terrific 5am good mood!

Then he slept pretty much all through church, waking up just before we left. He waited patiently in his carseat on the counter while I finished coffee duty, and smiled at every single person who stopped to talk to him.

I wanted daddy to be there so bad when he was grinning away all weekend, he was totally missing out on this new smiley, flirty baby. And I was thinking all weekend how one of the saddest things about being a single parent would be that you don't have someone to share all these moments with. Sure, you share them with other people here and there - the grandparents we stop to see, my mom when he learns new tricks and plays with new toys - but there's not one other specific person who gets to see and hear it all and who shares the tiny moments. Sure it's probably really tough simply just doing it all on your own, but it would just break my heart to be the only one getting these precious memories, and having no one to look back and remember them with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home