Saturday, January 17, 2009

belly dancing and blood-giving

I went to my first belly dance class this morning. I'm definitely not coordinated enough for this stuff, but it's fun anyway. Hopefully I'll learn something (maybe get more coordinated) and get some exercise in the process.

I also decided to start doing my good deed... giving blood. I gave blood a couple times in college, the last time the nurse dug around in my veins (and I have GREAT veins, so she shouldn't have had to) to get the needle in the right spot, it was horrible. I sucked it up to give blood one more time, and my hemoglobin was to low, so I couldn't. Those things kind of shied me away from it. Lately though, I've decided to do it again. I have a much needed blood type, so I always feel a little guilty when they're advertising about how much they need my blood type and I haven't given any. So I did it. I got a little light-headed (that never happened in college) but it passed, and i was fine. Maybe, just maybe, I'll go for the goal of donating four times a year (you get a t-shirt!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I had a bad blood-giving experience when I worked in Washington. The nurse stabbed up both my arms and finally said, "I recommend you never try to give blood." What nurse says that? Nurses in Idaho could never get my veins, either, but here they seem to do just fine. So I should give it another try, too.

2:50 PM 
Blogger melissa said...

I bet you'll start to feel more coordinated the more you work on the belly dancing. I can't imagine anyone gets it perfect the first class.

I used to give blood in college, and then after going to Haiti, I couldn't for a year. I never got back into giving, but I should...

4:37 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home