Thursday, March 19, 2009

Gang Inititation at WalMart

Little a and I took a shopping trip to WalMart today, and using a shopping cart cover, i propped him up in the seat on the cart for the first time. He loves shopping, there's so much to look at that he can't even bother wasting energy holding on to his toys. In fact, it's so overwhelming that he was fast asleep by the time we left.

I used to avoid WalMart like the plague, but sometimes I have a short list of things i need, WalMart is closer and guaranteed to have them all, so I take the plunge. I've gotten so that if I go to one specific WalMart, at a decent time of the day, then I like it. It's actually somewhat pleasant.

However, you still run the risk of running into the crazies that wander WalMart for fun. Like the couple I ran into today. I was strolling along with my cart when a old gravel-y (smoked way to many cigarettes) voice said loudly

"Did you hear that?"

I ignored him. He was walking parallel to me, with a woman, and I figured he was talking to her. He said it again

"Did you hear that?"

I ignored him again.

"I SAID, Did you HEAR that?"

I finally looked. He was looking right at me. I hate to stereotype. Truly, I do. I know that God loves everyone, and underneath exteriors there are usually very decent loving people, who have just had hard lives. But I was on a mission, and this guy looked like he was ready to sell me some crack. I really didn't care what he had to say.

"Hear What?" I asked anyway.

The woman with him was the same story. Smoked way to many cigarettes in her lifetime. gravely raspy voice. Pretty run-down. She stepped toward me and started in on what you could tell would be a STORY.

All I heard was

"Gangs are coming to WalMart.."

before I sped up and waved them off. Literally. I probably looked like a snob. I think I actually went "pssh" and flitted my hand. Behind me I heard...

"And then there are people like that..."


Fast forward to home, a couple hours later. I receive this text message:

Don't go to WalMart tonight. Gang initiation to shoot three women at walmart tonight. Not sure which one. Confirmed on TV. Send to everyone.

I love how people think that just because something says 'confirmed on tv' or 'confirmed by snopes' that it's suddenly true and they don't need to double check it. Forward away!

It's a false message. But circulating our city enough today that one of the local TV stations put a BREAKING NEWS story about how it's FALSE on their website, because they've been bombarded with calls.

3 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

He's so cute sleeping in the cart :)

I guess the same text message is going around H'burg. I haven't received it, but they sent out a blast e-mail from the university saying that it was a hoax.

6:35 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's everywhere - our local news had the same "it's not true" news story. Seems like if you were going to shoot people at Wal-Mart, you wouldn't tell the whole country!

An aside, I hate shopping at Wal-Mart almost all of the time, but we go after work and it's awesome! We get everything we need for way less than Target and Albertson's and we're the only people there! Woo!

8:37 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I love how the text claimed 'confirmed on tv', but you couldn't find the story anywhere... until it was a story about the hoax. When will people just stop to think for a second before spreading fear and panic?

4:40 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home