Tuesday, May 26, 2009
I give up. You might know what local TV station I work at, and if you live nearby, might even possibly watch it or check the website once in a while. Personally, I do think we have a good newscast, but the truth is, we often miss stories. I'm not sure why, if it's lack of training, motivation or simply lack of enough people. We only miss them on off days and hours though. If something happens in the middle of a weekday, we're often the first ones there, the first ones on the air and the first ones on the web. We do the best and worst, both ends of the spectrum.
But that's not what I give up on, I can deal with that. The problem is that for the last 2 and half years I've been trying to convince people that when there's a big story it HAS to go on the website first thing, immediately, right away. I shouldn't be involved at all, someone should just post the story. I've trained people up and down, I've posted and emailed illustrated step-by-step guides all over the place. But yesterday morning, when a BIG story came through (a 3yrold was murdered), our NEWS DIRECTOR simply sent me an email asking me to post it to the web. I didn't check my email until last night, and even then I was busy. He didn't bother trying to post and didn't bother getting anyone else to post. He sent me an email and went home. I had to check all the other station websites for the news, and by then at least one had posted TWO stories about it. If our news director can't bother making sure a big story gets online, how can I expect anyone else to care? I give up.
1 Comments:
Ugh I hear ya. And does it ever look bad on them? No. I get tired of saving people's butts at work for their online crap just so they don't look bad. Because when people come to a site (like ours), they never think it may be someone else's fault something didn't get posted correctly. They think it must be the online department that didn't do their job.
Post a Comment
<< Home