Monday, September 14, 2009
There's a One-Year-Old in the House!
Our baby turned one year old last week. And he's definitely growing out of babyhood, and while it's so much fun right now, and so easy, it's also a tiny bit sad. He's so independent! He's not sleeping with his butt stuck up in the air anymore :( He's SLEEPING ALL NIGHT.Did I fail to mention this little fact? He started sleeping all night a couple weeks ago. I didn't want to mention it because I was afraid I'd jinx it. Then I kinda got used to it. Then we took a mini-vacation and stayed at the lakes for four nights and he didn't sleep all night once and I was afraid that week of all-night-sleeping was just a trick. Then we came home and he's been sleeping all night since, for a good week. There's nothing better than NOT seeing the middle-of-the-night hours after over a year of seeing them on a regular basis (you have to add in the pregnant getting-up-to-pee to that).
So anyway. He turned a year old last Wednesday and to mark the occasion, he took his first tumble down steps on one of the days between his birthday party and his actual birthday. The baby gate on the deck at the lake got opened for a second, I didn't notice it until he was already perched at the top of the steps and contemplating his next move, and he did a head-first flip down four wooden steps and landed on his back. It hurt him, and me, because I was mere seconds away from stopping him. He got a bruise on his head and scratches on his eye, but after a nap had forgotten all about it.
| From 12 Months |
| From 12 Months |
Now that he's been walking for two weeks and has it mastered, he's okay with doing other things, like waving and pointing. He LOVES to point at anything and everything, and just in the last few days has become a waving fool. His little wrist goes up and down and it's probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. He's getting really good at eating whole crackers, watermelon and especially sweet corn. mm mmm mmm.
| From 12 Months |
He had his one year well-baby check today. Three shots and a finger poke to draw blood. He didn't even flinch when the nurse poked his finger, in fact, he grinned at her the whole time she was getting blood out. He did really really well with shots too. Our nurses do them as fast as possible and the first two he was shocked and then just got a really (heartbreakingly) sad face and whimpered a little, the third made him cry but I scooped him up and gave him juice and he was back to his smiley self.
I rearranged the play area the other day (and told hubby that I'd probably do this every six months for the rest of my life) and made the 'toy box' more accessible to toss toys into and for little man to dig them out. He quickly discovered it was more efficient to climb inside the box to hang out with the toys than to pull them all out. (I looked over and he was just sitting in there like it was no big deal).
| From 12 Months |
| From 12 Months |
It's absolutely mind boggling how much these little people change in the span of one short year. Amazing that they can go from tiny, completely oblivious, helpless and so totally dependent newborns to walking, jabbering, learning, and remembering toddlers. I sometimes just sit and watch him play (which he does alone so, so well) and am just amazed. We made it through the first year, and we now have a one-year-old. wow.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home