Monday, January 18, 2010
flying
I'm scheduled to fly to Washington D.C. on Friday morning. I'm visiting two good college friends, who (happily) somehow ended up within a couple hours of each other. And I'm visiting one newborn baby. The weather for D.C. looks nice... 40s and 50s. Mom and baby took a walk OUTSIDE today. I can't fathom this, and am thrilled to visit friends, get a little vaca, cuddle a baby, and enjoy some nice weather.In contrast... we're excited here if it gets up to 35, and then when precipication is called for I cross my fingers it gets BELOW 30. Ice storms are awful. And that's exactly what our weather people are forecasting... ice storm. Wednesday through FRIDAY. Then snow. There's a chance it'll be okay Friday morning. If I can get out of here I get to miss a good portion of the latest bad weather. But I might not even make it to the airport. Argh.
Plus... right now, i'm wearing a t-shirt, long-sleeved warm shirt, big warm sweatshirt and sitting under my electric blanket on hi. And I JUST, finally, got warmed up. I've been freezing all evening, and i'm pretty sure the furnace is still working. Plus, I have a headache.
Will the weather and health cooperate?
And if they do... can you pray for me while I fly? I used to LOVE flying, every millisecond of it. Somewhere along the line some sort of unexplained anxiety took over. It took me a long time before I could admit that I get sweaty palms and am almost truly terrified the entire time I'm flying, it embarrassed me. You can tell me every statistic in the book and every reason why the plane WILL NOT just drop straight out of the sky, but I'm still scared of it. That's a long way down people! I'm not scared of dying, or really even crashing (a little)... mainly just falling. I'll be the first to admit that it's crazy. But that's the thing about anxiety... you can't reason it away.
It's been two years since I've flown. And I actually am not nervous right now, thinking about it. But the feeling has popped up, randomly, while preparing for this flight, so I know it's still there in some form. Perhaps, maybe, it's not as bad. And if that's the case, the only reason is prayer. Anxiety like this can't be reasoned or forced away, and it can't really be ignored...but GOD can do all things. I truly believe this, and the only way I will overcome this and fly comfortably is if God is giving me peace about it. Pray that I trust him completely, will you?
And pray that i don't get any terrible turbulence, because that'll just bring it all rushing back...
(this is the first post in, how long? that doesn't mention that active, funny, loving little man that lives in our house. Except now. So actually, it does. never mind.)
1 Comments:
Ugh. I hope the weather cooperates for you. I'm sure it will be a fun trip. On flying, I used to have no problem with it, either and now it kind of bothers me. No fears, but just can't stand being in the airport, being on the plane, etc. I think for a lot has to do with being married. I haven't been alone on a flight much in seven years and when I do, I hate it. I'm kind of the same way about driving. I used to have no problem driving somewhere far away all alone, now I can't stand it. I even dream about it at night.
Post a Comment
<< Home