Friday, May 27, 2011

changes

Two and a half years ago a family moved into the house kitty-corner from us. A year and a half ago we started really getting to know them. Wednesday they moved to Michigan.

I grew up in the country and my mom and sister have said multiple times how weird/different/hard it would be to live in town. How it's strange having neighbors literally right next to you (our 'neighbors' growing up were two miles away). I remember that feeling, and I have days that I agree. But sometimes I think we can be blessed with neighbors who make living in town worth every moment I have of wishing I lived in the country. The family kitty-corner to us were those people.

The truth is, we didn't spend all that much time just hanging out with them. The dinners and quality time together were much too few and far between. But they were friends that we always knew we could count on, depend on, and trust with anything. They have two girls - 13 and 10..the oldest babysat Little Man, and the entire family adored him just as much as grandparents do. We stopped to show off his Halloween costume (dinosaur! Rooarr!) and he got to chase the girls. We stopped to deliver Christmas treats and Jon played on the floor flipping Little Man over his head. He jumped on the trampoline with the girls. I dropped him at their house for 15 minutes one day last summer and when I got home they didn't want to give him back, said they didn't get enough time with him.

Every exchange with them was filled with love and laughter. Every memory makes me smile. There was always a security in knowing that if we needed absolutely anything, there were people we could truly count on right across the street.

We helped a little this past weekend, with some packing (while Little Man entertained everyone) and providing some food and snacks while they packed. My heart got heavier the closer they got to moving day. I've had friends leave before, at first I wasn't sure why it made me so sad to see these friends go. Then it dawned on me - these are the first friends to move away that Little Man really knew and loved. He most likely won't ever see 'baywee' again or be able to pick out a rocket ship cookie for Jon 'because Jon likes rocket ships'

But two-year-olds move on easily. We already know that the family moving in is a young family with a two-year-old and a baby. The little girl's name is Mia, and Little Man has already said multiple times "I like my new friend Mia". It'll be interesting to see how he does... if we make friends with the new family will he look for the people he knew when we go to their house? Will he look for the little basket of toy cars in the basement?

Will I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home