Thursday, June 16, 2011

floodacalypse

Three weeks ago I posted about losing some favorite neighbors, and possibly gaining some playmates for my kids. Then I left for memorial day weekend at the lake. Things were bound to be different when we got back from the lake anyway, with new neighbors and entering our first week of life-with-no-daycare... But I had no idea just HOW different life would turn out to be.

Instead of simply entering June with no daycare and making time to get to know the neighbors, we entered June by learning that our entire community could possibly get flooded out. We recruited LOTS of help and moved my in-laws out of their house, while they were in Italy. Then we moved ourselves almost out of our house. Little Man spent a week with his cousins, and my mom became the designated baby-holder while I packed.

Two weeks later we're still waiting to feel the full effects of this "floodacalypse" as my brother-in-law and his fiance nicknamed it, waiting and hoping that the full effects won't ever actually happen. My in-laws are staying at our house, through this month, then making a decision on where to go from here. Their home and our home will be protected by a secondary levee if the first levee fails, the secondary levee sits right on their street.

It may be the end of August, or later, before we really know if our homes are damaged, or safe. At this point lots of people already know - their homes are up to the roofs in water. It's crazy and devastating.

We've moved a good amount of our 'stuff' to an empty family home, and we're kinda roughing it in our own house. This week the boys and I decided to get away from the craziness and come stay with my parents. I might decide that a lot this summer, we'll see.

It's going to be a weird summer... but, hey, it'll be memorable.

3 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

floodacalypse... I like it. We had our snowpacalypses, so it's nice that you get a disaster of your own ;) kidding of course! Here's hoping and praying that the damage is as minimal as possible!

8:53 PM 
Anonymous Karen said...

Ugh, Rochelle, I hope you all stay dry. I've been thinking about you a lot as the rain keeps falling here and the snow still hasn't started to melt. It's all coming your way, and it seems like there's no end in sight! Hopefully your families' homes avoid flooding and you can look back on this summer as just a fun story of what threatened to happen but didn't.

10:56 PM 
Blogger studiocitro said...

how come the floods are lasting this long?

12:23 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home